What’s wrong with me? Feb 2015

On 26/01/15 a Monday night, to celebrate with my management team for getting through another Christmas trading period we went out for bar snacks and beers, I was driving so diet coke for me. Ate too much and whilst walking back to my car I felt pain in my tummy, left hand side and thought I’d eaten to much (the first pain of cancer) I thought it was wind.

The next day at work busy busy busy so I didn’t notice the pain until the evening relaxing with hubby and a beer “oh I’ve got that pain again darling” I reported and then that was it, from Wednesday 28th Jan the pain never left me.

On the following Monday, 2nd Feb I went to the Doctors who examined me vaginally and anally, don’t they have a pleasant job hey! She said that there was blood in my bum but it was old blood and not to worry about it, she thought there was something wrong with my ovaries, I was referred for an ultrasound scan, appointment to follow in the post and so off to work for me.

The pain wouldn’t go away and I tried to cope at work with a hot water bottle, a present from the lovely Linda. My team knew I wasn’t right as I wasn’t going outside for my usual fag breaks (very unusual for me) I just couldn’t walk very well due to the pain. The photo below was taken at work, trying to cope with the pain witha hot water bottle.


Wednesday 4th Feb I was sent home during a regional meeting as I was in so much pain, I could have cried with relief walking out of the meeting as I just wanted to be at home. A rest on the sofa would sort me out I thought, wishful thinking.  Hubby came home from work and knowing me not to be a wimp with pain said “you’re going to A&E” after two hours of me trying to tell him it was okay, I didn’t want to go and that I’d be fine, I agreed to go.

En route to A&E I said to Steve “you haven’t told my mom we are going to A&E have you?” and sure enough he had as she had been texting him to tell him to take me as she was so worried about me, mom’s hey! Do we ever stop worrying about our kids? I think not.

After lots of tests at A&E they said they could find nothing wrong with me and sent me home with painkillers which made me throw up on the drive at 5 am, which to our neighbours must have looked like we had been out on the piss all night, if only LOL. Mom had driven down from the Midlands throughout the night bless her, she is a real worrier, sadly she was right to be worried.

I was day off work on the Thursday, had a phone call to say my ultrasound scan due to a cancellation was on Friday, happy days. At the ultrasound the man said that he could see a mass on my bowel and that his report would go to my Doctors and to go and see him today. 5.30 back to the doctors where after examining me, reading the report and seeing the pain I was in he said I needed to go to the surgical ward that night.

So from possible ovarian problems we had now moved to the bowel, my hubby Steve is no beating man but his money was that it was going to be my appendix, if only.

Upon reaching the surgical ward I told them that whatever they wanted to do to me would have to wait until the next day as it was Rebecca’s birthday the next day, I wanted to go home that night, give her her present and then they could do there stuff.

All agreed and back to the surgical ward for 7.30 the next morning (7/02/15), Steve happy with his diagnosis of appendix removal, mom and Rebecca had cake and tickets for the Lion King in London and I’m on nil by mouth!



Published by


Married to Steve, I have two children - Rebecca and Richard. Steve has two children, Lauren and Chris. Rebecca lives with us (nurse Rebecca) and my mom Judy also has become nurse and housekeeper but lives in the West Midlands. My son is in the Army and comes home when he can. I am 47, born in 1967 and I was told I had bowel cancer on 22nd Feb 2015 and this blog is my journey through it. I hope it helps you as you were the reason I started it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *