CT scan, a close call and the results

Due to the swollen lymph nodes in my neck I had to have another CT scan on 26th May. I was called two days before the appointment for the arrangements to be finalised. The lady said that I wouldn’t receive a letter as it was being done at short notice. She said the scan was booked for 5 pm and so no food 3 hours prior to that and I was to drink two pints of water two hours before. I wanted her to check that she had called the right person as I had had two CT scans previously and I had never been told starve three hours before and to drink water. She double checked and confirmed that yes that was the correct instructions and that the request was for a bigger area of my body.
On the 26th May I worked in the local store until 1.30pm, came home for 1.45 pm and had lunch with Rebecca. It was half term and as Rebecca works in a local school and she was off all week. She had agreed to come with me as Steve had to work and Mom was on holiday.
We ate lunch in the sunshine and I was soon fast asleep. At 2.45 pm Rebecca woke me as she was aware of the plan we had agreed which was lunch, walk Molly, start drinking water and then CT scan. Now it was all going wrong as falling asleep was not in that agreed plan. I quickly got sorted and we headed off to the park with Molly. It was now 3 pm and I should have been drinking water (which Rebecca had chilled for me overnight in the beer fridge) Molly has to have an hours exercise each day so that would mean that we wouldn’t be home until 4 pm and that was too late to start drinking water. Rebecca came up with the new plan which was for me to drop her off, return home, start drinking water and pick her back up at 4 pm. An excellent idea and I agreed however I would miss walking Molly.
I dropped Rebecca off and started my return journey. Then it started, the one minute warning! OMG all the weeks of worry about having an accident and thankfully I’d been okay but on that journey home that day I was panicking. I drove as fast as I could to get home, the cramps were awful and every traffic light seemed against me, I made it back home but cursed the decision to lock the front door and I made it to the loo just in time, thank god for my downstairs loo. Anyone who has had bowel surgery will feel my pain and panic here.
I picked Rebecca back up as planned, drank the amount of water required and headed off to the hospital.
I was back in the gown of shame and was called through to have my bloods taken. The nurse was lovely and was being very caring with me, introducing herself and explaining that she was good at taking bloods and that I was in safe hands. She asked if I was okay, not that she cared really but she was being polite. “well apart from having stage 3 cancer I’m fine” I replied. She just thought this was hilarious and said “it’s people like you that keep me doing this job. Seeing the funny side is the right mental outlook to have” I’m glad I made her laugh in her day.
I went through to the CT scan room where another nurse had to check that I was me and that I wasn’t pregnant. I’m not pregnant “but have you had sex since your last period?” yes but I know I’m not pregnant “are you taking precautions?” no but I’m not pregnant “so you’ve had unprotected sex in the last month?” yes but I’m not pregnant! “but you could be” now this was just getting silly, we had just returned from our holiday and yes we made up for lost time on the sexy stuff but she looked about 12 years old, far too young to be a qualified nurse and I knew I wasn’t pregnant. We were at a stalemate, she gave me that disapproving slut look as I stood there in my gown of shame and said she would have to discuss it with her colleague. She returned to say that I had to sign the consent form for sluts as they weren’t going to be held responsible for my wild ways.
The scan complete Rebecca and I returned home and the next day I came on!
On 4th June I was out walking Molly and I had the phone call regarding the results. They were not just concerned about the lymph nodes in my neck but I also apparently have a problem with the lymph nodes in my gut. I asked if it was cancer but they wouldn’t say either way and that I had to go into hospital on Monday 15th June for biopsies to be taken from my neck under a local anesthetic, oh the joy. I was trying to have this serious conversation whilst throwing a ball at the same time. I phoned Steve straight away whilst all the information was still fresh in my head and finished walking Molly. Mom was still on holiday and whilst we were in contact everyday I decided not to tell her as why spoil her holiday, it could wait until she returned and I would yet again have to break potentially bad news to my poor mom.

Published by


Married to Steve, I have two children - Rebecca and Richard. Steve has two children, Lauren and Chris. Rebecca lives with us (nurse Rebecca) and my mom Judy also has become nurse and housekeeper but lives in the West Midlands. My son is in the Army and comes home when he can. I am 47, born in 1967 and I was told I had bowel cancer on 22nd Feb 2015 and this blog is my journey through it. I hope it helps you as you were the reason I started it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *